When you’re making an investment in a new furnace, you want to make sure you’re getting the best bang for your buck. One of the most important deciding factors on which model you choose will be the unit’s AFUE rating. So let’s take a look at AFUE ratings and how they can help you choose a new furnace.

What is an AFUE rating?

AFUE is an acronym for “annual fuel utilization efficiency.” It is a number (given as a percentage) that describes how efficient a furnace is. More specifically, it is the percentage of fuel that a furnace consumes that it is able to turn into useful heat. Here’s an example:

If a furnace is labeled with an AFUE rating of 80 percent, over the course of a year it is able to turn 80 percent of the fuel it uses into heat for your home. The other 20 percent is lost.

With that in mind, it’s easy to understand that the higher the AFUE rating, the more efficient the furnace (and the less expensive it will be to operate). As of this writing, the FTC requires every new furnace to have an AFUE rating of at least 78 percent.

How to use an AFUE rating when choosing a new furnace

Hyde’s offers furnaces with AFUE ratings that range between 80% and 96.7%. Although it might seem like you should simply choose the furnace with the highest AFUE rating, it’s important to know that furnaces with higher AFUE ratings come with higher price tags.

Keep in mind that when you invest in a furnace with a high AFUE rating, you’ll make up for a lot of the initial cost over the lifetime of the unit because of its lower operating costs. This is especially true if you currently have a furnace with a low AFUE rating because it is likely costing you a lot of money to operate it.

When you’re choosing a new furnace, pick the unit with the highest AFUE rating that fits your budget. The higher the AFUE rating you can spring for, the more value you’ll get out of your investment over the 15-20 years that it will last you.

If you have any questions about an AFUE rating, or if you’d like a heating system serviced or installed in your home, contact Hyde’s, your Coachella valley furnace repair and installation company.