As technology advances in the HVAC industry, more and more innovations are being made that help our air conditioners perform better and more efficiently. One example of this is a variable speed air handler. So let’s take a look at what a variable speed air handler is and how you can benefit from installing one in your home!
What is a variable speed air handler?
Whereas traditional air handlers only operate at one speed (high), variable speed air handlers operate at multiple different speeds depending on your home’s demands. Your home requires different amounts of air at different times depending on things like the temperature outside and the condition of your air filter, and variable speed air handlers can adjust themselves to deliver the exact amount of air that’s needed to get the job done.
When cooling is needed in a home with a traditional air handler, the air conditioner delivers a blast of cool air until the home reaches the temperature set by the thermostat. It then shuts off until cooling is needed again. Variable speed air handlers, on the other hand, operate almost all the time at much lower speeds, which allows for a number of different benefits (as you’ll see below).
What are the benefits of a variable speed air handler?
- More consistent cooling. Instead of delivering large blasts of cool air like traditional air handlers, variable speed air handlers increase and decrease their speeds gradually. This allows for much more consistent cooling and less temperature swings in your home.
- Better air quality. Because variable speed air handlers have longer operating cycles than traditional air handlers, they push air through your air filter much more often. This means that your home will have better air quality because it is almost constantly being filtered.
- Quiet operation. You’re probably familiar with the noise of an air conditioner kicking on and blowing air into your home. Variable speed air handlers are much quieter than traditional air handlers because they run at lower speeds and don’t turn on and off as much.
- Energy efficient. Traditional air handlers can use up a lot of energy because they only run at a high speed and have to turn on and off frequently. Even though variable speed air handlers run more often than traditional air handlers, they consume less energy because they run at lower speeds, cycle less frequently and only consume the amount of energy that your home requires of them.
- Less wear-and-tear. Less on and off cycling means less wear-and-tear, which allows air conditioners with variable speed air handlers to experience less repairs and have longer operating lives.
If you have any questions about a variable speed air conditioner, or if you’d like a cooling system serviced or installed in your home, contact Hyde’s, your Coachella Valley air conditioner repair and installation company.