What is the Heat Exchanger & How Does It Work? » « Burning Smell From My HVAC System!
Tips To Help Your HVAC System Running Efficiently
Did you know that many of the most common heating system problems can be avoided by performing regular maintenance or tune-up on your system? The right knowledge and a little bit of effort can go a long way in keeping your HVAC system running efficiently and avoiding future breakdowns.
Today we’re going to offer 7 heating maintenance tips that will help keep your Coachella Valley HVAC system running great all season long!
- Get a professional tune-up on a yearly basis. By far, the best thing you can do to ensure that your furnace performs to the best of its ability is to schedule a professional tune-up every year. During a tune-up, our technicians will inspect your furnace for any operational problems and perform a number of maintenance tasks (like cleaning your system) that will help avoid future breakdowns, improve efficiency levels and make sure that your system is running safely.
- Keep your air filter clean. You’d be surprised at the number of breakdowns we encounter that could have been prevented if the homeowner would have changed his or her air filter. A dirty filter will cause all sorts of performance and efficiency problems, and you can avoid them by simply checking and/or changing your filter once per month.
- Test your CO detectors. CO detectors will warn you if your furnace develops a carbon monoxide leak, which could potentially be life-threatening to the people in your home. Make sure that your CO detectors are working and that they have a fresh set of batteries during the heating season.
- Allow your air registers to breathe. If any of your air registers are closed or blocked off by furniture, your system will have a hard time heating your home evenly and effectively. Make sure that all of your floor registers are open and free of obstructions.
- Keep the area around your system clear. Keep the area around your furnace clear so that you and your service technician can easily access it when the time comes for any maintenance or repairs.
- Consider a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat will help you control when your heating system runs and will help with energy efficiency and overall cost.
- Go Green with a Heat Pump. Our district in California has put a restriction on furnace emissions, so now is the time to convert to a heat pump with 0% gas emissions.
If you have any questions about these heating system maintenance tips, or if you’d like a heating system serviced or installed in your home, contact Hydes, your Coachella Valley heating and cooling contractor.