The ductwork in our homes is hidden away behind the walls and ceilings, so it can be easy to forget it’s even there. But the problem with having such little contact with your ductwork is that problems can arise without you even knowing about it! Today we’re going to talk about some of the most common ductwork problems in Coachella Valley homes and what can be done to solve them!
Common ductwork problems in Coachella Valley homes
- Design issues. Some issues with ductwork can start right when the ducts are installed. If you don’t work with a well-qualified contractor who knows how to properly size and install your ductwork, you’ll run into some major efficiency and comfort issues in your home. Some of the most common duct design problems include improper sizing, an inadequate amount of supply and return registers and ducts that inhibit the balance of your home’s airflow and pressure.
- Ducts not sealed. Ducts can become loose, cracked or disconnected over time. When this happens, conditioned air will escape out of your ducts before it has a chance to get to your living spaces. As you can imagine, this will have some big effects on your utility bills, because your furnace and air conditioner will have to work extra hard to keep your home comfortable. Unsealed ducts are also bad for air quality, because they allow unfiltered air to seep into your home’s air supply.
- Leaks at air registers. Your air registers need to be tightly sealed to the ductwork that connects to them. Similar to duct leaks, loose connections at your air registers will allow conditioned air to escape before getting where it needs to go.
- Twisted, kinked or damaged ducts. If you’ve ever kinked a hose before, imagine doing that to your home’s ductwork. Instead of blocking water from flowing, kinked or twisted ducts will block air from flowing through your home.
- Insulation problems. If your home has ducts that are located in uninsulated parts of your home, they can suffer from heat gain or loss (depending on the season). This will warm up conditioned air in the summer and cool it down in the winter, both of which will force your furnace and air conditioner to work harder than they need to.
Contact Hyde’s to solve your ductwork problems
If you’re encountering any efficiency or comfort issues in your home that you can’t seem to figure out, give Hyde’s a call! We can take a look at your ducts to see if they could be causing the problem. Along with offering duct sealing services, we fix any design, damage or insulation problems that might be plaguing your duct system.
If you have any questions about these common ductwork problems, or if you’d like a cooling system serviced or installed in your home, contact Hydes, your Coachella Valley air conditioning contractor.