Did you know that a dirty air filter is responsible for many of the most common furnace and air conditioner problems in Coachella Valley homes? Changing your air filter is a simple task, but neglecting to do it can have major consequences for your heating and cooling systems. Today we’re going to emphasize the importance of changing your air filter by talking about some of the most common furnace and air conditioner problems caused by a dirty air filter!
Common furnace and air conditioner problems caused by a dirty air filter
- Comfort issues. When air is being cycled by your furnace or air conditioner, it must pass through your air filter before being heated or cooled. If your filter is dirty, it restricts the amount of air that is able to pass through the filter, which means your home will receive an inadequate amount of conditioned air. This results in some major comfort issues because your rooms will not have enough conditioned air to keep them comfortable and your home will likely have hot and cold spots.
- High energy bills. Another big problem with the airflow issues that a dirty air filter causes is that your air handler will have to work much harder to push air through the filter. This will significantly increase your monthly heating and cooling bills.
- System breakdowns. When your furnace and air conditioner have to work extra hard due to a dirty air filter, they have a much greater chance of overheating and breaking down when you need them the most.
- Dirty components. One of the biggest jobs that your air filter does is protect your heating and cooling system from dirt buildup. When your filter is dirty, it will not be able to perform its job properly and dirty air will bypass your filter. This allows dirt to build up on your heating and cooling system’s vital components like the burners, cooling coils, fan blades and more, which can cause those components to malfunction and often triggers your system’s safety devices.
- Cracked heat exchanger. When your furnace is not receiving enough air due to a dirty air filter, the heat exchanger will overheat. This added stress can cause the heat exchanger to crack, which is a huge safety issue because it allows carbon monoxide to build up in your home’s air.
- Poor air quality. Besides protecting your heating and cooling system from dirt buildup, your air filter also removes particles from your home’s air that you and your family would otherwise breathe in. When your filter is dirty, those particles will continue to circulate in your home’s air, which can aggravate symptoms of asthma and allergies and increase the likelihood of your family getting sick.
If you have any questions about how a dirty filter can cause problems with your furnace and air conditioner, or if you’d like a heating and cooling system serviced or installed in your home, contact Hyde’s, your Coachella Valley heating and air conditioning contractor.