Enjoy A Hazard-Free Holiday With a Few Hints From Hyde’s

The majority of furnaces are gas-powered, meaning carbon monoxide is created as combustion occurs within the unit. As long as it remains contained within your heat exchanger, you have no need to worry. However, if a crack forms in your heating system, this deadly gas could escape into your home.  

Carbon monoxide is an extremely poisonous substance, so preventing it from entering your family’s living space is crucial. Check out these four ways you can avoid a carbon monoxide leak in your home and spend this winter worry-free! 

Correct Installation Is Key

Even if your furnace doesn’t develop a leak, it could still distribute carbon monoxide through your home’s ventilation system if your blower motor or ductwork was not installed properly. Make sure to always do your research and contact a trusted business before scheduling an appointment with a new contractor. If the company you’re considering does not have any customer reviews, proper certifications or accessible contact information, they may not be the most reliable option. 

Change The Filters

Clogged filters not only allow airborne irritants to circulate along with the air your family breathes, but they can also lead to poor airflow. If you haven’t changed your furnace’s filters in a while, an airflow backup may occur and cause a carbon monoxide leak. Depending on your home’s indoor air quality, we recommend that you change your filters every one to three months.

Maintenance Is Key

Annual furnace maintenance is the most important step you can take in avoiding carbon monoxide leaks. During a routine check, your technician will inspect your unit for damage and thoroughly clean it to ensure everything is working as it should. Even a barely-there crack can progress into something much more concerning in the future, leading to costly repairs or even replacement.

Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Even if you do everything in your power to keep your system from leaking, unexpected catastrophes can occur. Because carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, it can be impossible to know if you have a dangerous leak on your hands. In the event that carbon monoxide is released into your home, you’ll want to know as early as possible so that you and your family can evacuate the premises. A carbon monoxide detector will sound as soon as it picks up heightened levels of the gas, giving you time to alert others and exit your home. 

If you have any questions about how you can keep your furnace from causing a carbon monoxide leak in your home, call Hyde’s at (760) 360-2202. We would be more than happy to help in any way we can!